It is common in most Montessori environments for children to decorate and embellish their completed work. A handmade cord is much more beautiful than staples...don't you think?
This is all you need to make your own cord.
1. Measure out approximately 1 arm span of yarn (from 1 out-stretched hand to the other). Put the ends together and fold in half.
2. Hold the two loose ends in one hand. Loop the other end over a stationary knob or hook (or have a partner hold it for you).
3. Holding on to the two loose ends, start rolling them between your fingers so that the yarn starts to twist. Keep rolling the yarn until it's tightly twisted from end to end.
4. When the yarn is tightly twisted, place the "S" hook on the yarn in between your fingers and the knob. Bring the loose ends in your hand to the other end on the knob. The weight of the "S" hook and the twist in the yarn will make the "S" hook begin to twirl. Quickly remove the yarn from the knob and hold the ends together.
5. Hold the ends tightly while the "S" hook spins. When the "S" hook has stopped spinning in one direction, quickly slip it out of the yarn - or it will start spinning in the opposite direction and the cord will come undone!
6. Remove the S hook and tie the two loose ends in a knot to keep it from unraveling. There is no need to tie a knot in the other end.